Sunday 22 December 2013

A lesson in empathy

December. How did that happen? When I first started this blog I loved it, it was a great outlet for me as most of my day revolves around everyone else, this was time just for me. To think, write, rewrite and work my way through the emotions of my day, good and bad. So you're probably wondering why its been 5 months since i've made a post..well this summer Evan and I switched roles and I found a beautiful salon to work in:) We like to call it a lesson in empathy. It has definatlely been an adventure and lets just say we are all still adjusting.

Evan wanted to take some time to get a few things going that he has been feeling really passionate about ( running and a home based business) and I wanted the chance to work as many hours as needed to build a business here in Fredericton. This would not be easy for either of as we didn't know anyone here but my father, so building a long lasting career in hairstyling would not be easy and we all know that building a business from home while tending five boys and all the responsibilities that goes with them is a huge challenge.

I'm not proud to admit that I have always been really easy on the boys as I always just wanted everyone to be happy. I'm not very good with confrontation, so many times I give in or try to make things easy for the boys so the house seemed more peaceful. But the reality of this is when faced with me not being here to always defend them or take up their slack it became apparent that maybe I had spoiled them. Not with money or belongings but by not making them accountable for their own actions and responsibilities. It was always easier to do the extra and hold on to what peace I could. Living in a household with seven people is not an easy task. Everyone has their own problems, opinions, tastes, bad days, sick days or even just plain "I need my space" days, so to keep the peace is a huge responsibility to take on. I have always felt a tad overwhelmed. Honestly I can't imagine why Evan would want to take that on, but he has! And he is putting in his best effort on a daily basis (As with everything else he does). I'm sure there will always be things we do differently but the well being of our boys is our common ground and we both do the best we can.



No comments:

Post a Comment